Getting your bike to and from where you want to ride or where you will be on vacation can be a real pain, especially if you drive a typical four-door car. Many of these problems can be solved by putting the bike rack on the car’s roof, but there are some things you should think about before you go out and buy one.
You need to decide if the pros of using a roof bike rack are more important than the cons. To help you decide, let’s look at what the cons are. Like other kinds of bike racks, a roof bike rack has both good and bad points.
What are the roof bike rack advantages?
- When not in use, there is no need to remove the installation – The process of installing and removing any kind of bike rack may be a finicky little bit of a bother, and it can take some time to get it precisely perfect. After being attached to the roof rack in the correct manner, the roof bike rack tray is able to remain in that location indefinitely without posing any risks and is perfectly safe to do so. If you wish to utilize that section of the roof rack for some other storage, the only reason to remove it again would be to do so. Otherwise, there is no need to remove it. The good news is that leaving it set in place avoids the effort of continuously installing it.
- Does not make it difficult to reach the back cargo area – When you have bikes secured on a bike rack in the rear of your car, it might be difficult to access the trunk or the hatchback of the vehicle. When the bicycles are put up on top, there is no longer a difficulty of this kind.
- There are no obstructions to the rearview sightlines – When there are bikes loaded up, they might obstruct your view out the back window, which can make it difficult to see what’s behind you. When the bicycles are secured to the roof and out of the way, this is, of course, no longer the situation.
- Flexible cargo carrying – When you have a roof rack, you are able to transport a wide variety of goods, and the fact that you have one or two bicycles roof-mounted does not preclude you from making use of the remaining space to transport other types of cargo, such as skis, a kayak, or a roof cargo box.
- Easily and securely accommodate a couple of bicycles on top – If you get a roof mount bike rack of sufficient quality, you won’t have to worry about the safety of your bicycle while it’s stored there. However, you are not limited to just one; depending on the size of the roof of your vehicle (a sedan can carry up to four bikes, while a minivan can carry up to seven bikes), you can space the bike trays far enough apart so that each of your bikes has sufficient clearance for safe and secure transportation. Done and done!
- Capable of transporting a wide variety of bicycles – You will have a great deal of versatility thanks to the fact that you will be able to transport a variety of bicycles, depending on the sort of bike tray(s) that you decide to purchase.
- The capability of being installed in a wide variety of vehicles – You can install roof racks on most different kinds of cars, having a rear spoiler or rear-mounted spare tires won’t be a problem, and you’ll still be able to pull anything you want in the back of the vehicle, including a trailer or a caravan. Roof racks are an option.
What are the roof mount bike rack disadvantages?
- Compared to the costs of other kinds of racks, more costly per unit. – The cost of the rack will be equivalent to about $100 to $200 per bicycle depending on the quality of the racks you choose, and in addition to that, you will need to purchase a roof rack or roof crossbars if your vehicle already has factory-fitted roof bars. The total cost of the rack will be approximately $1,000.
- Installing a roof bike rack might be a bit of a challenge. – Unlike many other types of bike racks, installing a roof bike rack is not a fast and easy process. They are clumsy and finicky, and you will need certain tools to deal with them.
- There is a problem with the roof clearance. – Your vehicle, with its loaded bicycles on top, will not be able to enter many parking garages. Additionally, you will not be able to drive into areas that have low clearance, such as many drive-through restaurants for fast food.
- Less gas economy – Cross-roof bars and loaded bicycles on top generate wind noise, which may be a bit bothersome. However, another drawback is the wind drag that arises, which causes your car to have a worse gas efficiency. More cost!
- It is more difficult to load bikes. – The act of hauling bicycles up over your head may be strenuous labor; in some cases, two people may be required to complete the task. Additionally, there is a larger possibility of harming the paintwork of your vehicle, which means you need to exercise increased caution. It’s possible that this will be too much of a hassle or challenge for you to handle.
- It’s possible that a roof rack won’t fit on certain automobiles. – Convertibles and other vehicles with curved roofs may not be suited for the roof rack, therefore it is important to ensure that it is compatible with your vehicle.
There are a number of strong reasons to choose a roof mount bike rack, but on the other hand, some of the drawbacks may urge you to pick another form of bike rack since that style of bike rack better fulfills your unique requirements.
😍 These are some top-seller items for Cyclists. Click images & check them out! ✅
🥰 This Road Cycling Scape is comfortable to wear for a long time without numbness or hotspots. The carbon material helps with the forward motion when cycling. If you want performance and comfort, this is the cycling shoes for you! Click the available sizes.
🥰 This Lightweight Cycling Helmet protects your skull with the roll cage that adds extra strength and reduces rotation from angled impacts. It is comfortable to wear and adjust the helmet for a perfect personal fit. The straps have a soft feel and easy adjustment too. Click to see reviews before making your decision.
🥰 This B17 Bike Saddle provides you comfort in a long ride and easy thigh movement. The pores of the vegetable-tanned leather work as natural ventilation, keeping you cool while cycling. Check out their different color options.
🥰 These GatorSkin Bike Tires last long for about two years with great puncture resistance. It is easy to install with not much effort. This product comes with 2 foldable bicycle tires and 2 valve conti-tubes. Check out their different sizes.
🥰 This Cycling Free Aero Race is super comfortable for aerodynamics and WorldTour races with their careful choice of fabrics and other materials. It is soft on the skin and easy to move without any pain during a long ride. The size may feel tight at first but it becomes a comfortable fit once you wear them. Click the reviews to see if you need them too.
🥰 This Pedal Tour Rack stays secure even with heavy belongings on top. The rubberized grips stop the rack from sliding, keeping it stable. You can easily remove and add the rack. Check out the reviews to see what others say about this product.